Sunday, May 3, 2009

Border Crossings and Death

Out of this week's readings there is no doubt for me that Inda's piece on biopower was the most interesting for me. I had never really thought about the control of the border as a place of eugenics, but it makes sense when Inda contextualizes it. I was particularly interested in the way that Governor Wilson tried to deny prenatal care to pregnant women because they were "illegal." I think that's an example of disallowing "life to the point of death" (139).

I found myself thinking a lot about my family history while reading this piece. My brother has recently started researching our ancestors and has found the logs from Ellis island where my great great great grandfather and grandmother came to the country. At that point, I'm not sure the designation of "legal" or "illegal" even had any weight. I try to imagine what it would have been like for them and totally fail. What I do know is that they left the East Coast to escape a very nasty anti-Irish sentiment. They had the sparsely populated mid-West to escape too. Modern immigrants don't have that luxury.

I often do find myself uncomfortable with the lack of distinction between "legal" and "illegal" immigrants in pieces such as this though. Mostly because I think it's important to note the different ways those labels have been constructed and the differences and similarities that members of those two groups might have. I think that a more focused dialogue about who tends to be a "legal" immigrant and who tends to be an "illegal" immigrant (at a national level) is necessary to reform immigration law into something actually useful. The current approach obviously isn't working.
- Josh Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment